The UW Division of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine has a long, rich history of supporting the careers of clinician educators. We currently have a thriving group of faculty who are outstanding clinicians and superb teachers. They are also nationally known for their education scholarship.
Expertise within the division ranges from simulation-based leadership training to the creation of videos focused on a wide variety of procedural skills to strategies to promote active learning. We have leaders in undergraduate, graduate, and continuing medical education. Please explore our faculty bios for more information on areas of interest in teaching, curriculum development, and education research.
Our clinician educator group meets once a month for the planning of educational projects, reviewing current works in progress, and support each other in the process of career development. The discussions are stimulating and have led to substantive changes in our educational offerings.
Clinician Educators in Training
We are one of the first in the country to proactively train clinician educators within our accredited fellowship program.
We are currently funded by the Veterans Administration to accept one clinician educator fellow per year. The fellow's education will include formal training in the School of Medicine Teaching Scholars Program where the trainee meets once per week for a year with a group of peers and an instructor to learn teaching methods, adult learning theory, curriculum development, and the process of turning education into scholarship. The fellow also has opportunities for formal and informal teaching both inside and outside of the division.
Our members have won numerous accolades for teaching and clinical contributions from national societies and organizations as well as the UW School of Medicine. Some of these prestigious honors include:
American Thoracic Society:
- Best in ATS Video Lecture Series
- Distinguished Achievement Award
- Innovation in Fellowship Education Award
- Outstanding Educator Award
Association of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine Program Directors
- Emerging Educator Award
- Outstanding Educator Award
- Darlene Buczak Award for Educational Excellence
- Distinguished Educator Award
- Early Career Clinician Educator Award
UW School of Medicine
- Clinical Distinguished Teacher Award
- Teacher Superior in Perpetuity
- Basic Sciences Distinguished Teaching Award
- First Year Medical Student Professor of the Year Award
- David R. Saunders Memorial Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Medical Student Research Mentorship Award
UW Department of Medicine
- Paul B. Beeson Award: the highest teaching prize granted by the Internal Medicine Residents
- Marvin Turck Outstanding Teaching Award
- William J. Bremner Endowed Mentorship Award
- Housestaff Research Mentor Award